Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Moral of the Story

Several people have asked me why I haven't written a blog in a while and have encouraged me to write one because I have two weekends of games worth of updates. There are two main reasons why I haven't written one in a couple of weeks.

1. I haven't traveled to any major Italian cities like Florence which would definitely be exciting to write about.
2. My team got our first losses against Bussolengo two Saturdays ago. 

I didn't think that writing a blog about how we lost and how I've been spending a lot of my time in Forli (which is not a very "stereotypical" Italian city) would be too interesting for anybody to read about. But the team we lost to is one of the best teams in the league and the girls call them the "Super Star Team" because they are a new team this year and I guess they tried to recruit all the star players from every team and put them on this team. Besides that, we won both games we played this past Saturday and our record is now 6-2. We are the second best team in our division, with Bussolengo being undefeated. 

So here is the quick recap from the games we won against Unione Fermana on Saturday:

We run-ruled them the first game in 4 innings... the score was 21-2! Although it may seem like this game was an easy win… it didn't start out that way. There are two Americans on Unione Fermana. A pitcher named Monica Perry (played at Illinois and Florida State), and a shortstop/middle infielder named Alicia Herron (played at Ohio State). I remember Alicia Herron from playing against her at Ohio University because we always had to be careful when we pitched to her. She makes me feel small (not that she is fat or anything... just a 6 foot tall body of muscle.) Anyway, in the first inning, Alicia hit a shot clearly over the left field fence and made the score 2-0. In the third inning is where my team took control. I hit my first homerun here and made the score 3-2! Throughout both games, 3 more girls hit homeruns (including one grand slam) and even against the American pitcher, my team kept hitting really well and we were able to win.

So, let me tell you a little more about my first homerun. I wish I could tell you it was like Alicia Herron’s where I knew it was a homerun as soon as it hit the bat. Nope. It was one of those homeruns that lefty slappers at OU would always get jealous of… The one that was a pop up, but because I have power, it made its way over the fence. Whenever this would happen to me (games or practice) at OU, the girls would make comments like, “Wow I wish I could hit a pop up and get a homerun out of it. When I hit a popup it doesn’t even leave the infield.” Anyway, that was my first homerun here in Italy.

My stats for both games were:
6 for 8: 1 homerun, 2 doubles, 7 RBIs, 5 runs scored

Here is the link to the stats for the ISL (Italian Softball League). My team is Fiorini Forli and we are in Girone B. This link has the stats for each team, as well as individual and team leaders in different categories.






This next paragraph is for the Ohio Softball girls who remember playing Mafia during campfires, rain delays, or any other time we had nothing else to do. Mafia is a game where each person gets a card that determines what character they are in the game. There are a few Mafia members who try to kill everyone, a Doctor who can save a person from being killed, a few other characters, and the rest are the innocent Villagers. After each round, everybody talks with one another and tries to figure out who the Mafia members are. Then, as a group, they vote to “kill” somebody because they think they are a Mafia member. The goal for the Mafia members is to trick everyone and have them vote/kill off their own villagers so they win the game. The goal for the Villagers is to actually figure out who the Mafia members are and vote/kill them off so they win. This explanation will probably make no sense unless you know the game, but the reason I am writing about this is because I played this game with my Italian team on the bus home from our games on Saturday. Except instead of it being called Mafia, it was called something that translated to Wolves on the Table. So instead of Mafia members, there were Wolves trying to kill the Villagers, and even though there were a few extra characters, the game was the same. It was hard for me to figure out who was lying and whatnot because I don’t know the girls as well so they could read each other better. Also, the conversation was always in Italian so it was hard to keep track of why people were voting off so-and-so or if what they were saying was suspicious or not. But it was still a lot of fun!

Using this game for example, there were times when I felt so confident in my Italian… and other times where I had no idea what was going on. When the “narrator” of the game was talking and saying to “close your eyes” or “it is day time”, I was very proud of how well I am learning my Italian. But then when it was discussion time, I felt like I haven’t learned anything! I picked up on some vocabulary words but I couldn’t even understand what people were agreeing with each other in the conversation. But again, this is because several people are talking at once and there were a lot of side conversations.

However, the hardest and most frustrating thing for me with my Italian is going to order food by myself. Even just ordering a pizza can be difficult because there are so many different toppings that I don’t know the names of yet. (I am starting to learn more each time I order pizza. I guess I just need to keep eating pizza so I am able to learn more words!) You probably are thinking what I am thinking: “How hard can it be to order food? You look at the menu. Say what you want. You pay. You eat.” No. It is WAY more complicated!

From what the girls have told me, each city in Italy is famous for their own certain food. In Forli, they are famous for something called a piadina. A piadina is like a sandwich where you can get basically anything you want in it (meat, cheese, tomato sauce, vegetables, etc.) These places also have a similar food called a crescione. This is like a piadina but it is closed (like a calzone) and is usually cooked and served warm. Now that you have the background information about Forli’s famous food, here is my story to help you understand how hard it is to order food in a different language. One of my teammates told me to go to this piadina place nearby and get a piadina. I asked her what her favorite one was and she told me it was a vegetable one. Last week after practice, I decided to try this out. I felt confident I could order this vegetable piadina because I know how to say vegetable in Italian--verdura. The place was easy to find… but that’s about the only easy thing that came from this experience. I looked at the menu and in about every section I saw “verdura” written down. But it didn’t just say verdura… it said “verdura miste.” I didn’t know what that meant, but I didn’t even let that scare me! (I later found out that it meant mixed vegetables.) So I thought I did what I had to do… tell the lady I wanted a verdura miste piadina. Instead of saying “ok” and telling me how much it would cost like I expected, she started asking me all of these questions that I didn’t understand. I told her I only spoke a little Italian and she tried to speak slower and point to different things. Eventually I just said “okay” to whatever she asked/pointed at and I ended up getting my piadina… which turned out to be a crescione. Either way… it was delicious. Could I order that exact same thing again? Probably not. When I told my teammate that I tried her favorite piadina she asked me how I liked it. After describing it to her, she told me that I didn’t in fact eat her favorite piadina. She went on to tell me how I had a crescione not a piadina, that the lady was probably asking me if I wanted my vegetables grilled or not, and a lot of other possible things she could have been asking me.

Moral of the story: If you want to try a random piadina and actually end up eating a delicious crescione… try and order your teammate’s favorite piadina in a foreign language.

Luckily, later on that same day, something else took place that helped build up my Italian confidence once again. Elda’s boyfriend is on a baseball team in the IBL (Italian Baseball League) and had a home game about 20 minutes away from Forli on Friday. While Elda and I were sitting in the stands and wearing our Forli Softball jackets, we had a nice little visitor. A young girl came up to us and, speaking Italian, started talking to us and asked if we played softball. She was having the conversation with Elda but I actually understood everything that was being said! Rosetta definitely helped me with introductory conversational skills! The girl’s name is Georgia, she’s 12 years old, and plays baseball. Elda told her that I am a catcher from America and then she proceeded to say how she wants to be a catcher and loves America! She visited California when she was younger and went to LA, Palm Springs, and… San Diego! She also showed me some baseball cards she had in her wallet from players in the MLB. After she found out I was from America, she tried speaking to me in English and I replied to her in Italian. We both continually looked over at Elda while we were speaking for help on words or to make sure that we were saying what we wanted to say correctly, but we were both able to talk and understand each other! When Georgia left, Elda told me she was very impressed with my Italian and that the girl looked at me like I was her hero because I was a catcher from America.

Moral of the story: My Italian language skills dramatically increase when speaking to a 12 year old softball fan.



GELATO TRACKER
11

No comments:

Post a Comment